The Novium Museum offers a range of work experience placements to university students and school pupils.
We are committed to offering an inspirational work experience placement that gives real insight into a career in museums as well as an opportunity to gain knowledge and skills.
The Novium Museum can offer a one week placement every month to a pupil from a local school. This placement will be offered to the most suitable candidate upon completion of an application form and informal meeting with a member of staff.
The placement offered will have a strong research and exhibition focus, and would suit pupils interested in history or the work of museums.
More information about the placement can be found below.
Object in Focus
For students who want to learn more about what it is like to work in a museum, especially what is involved in collections care and curating an exhibition, we have created a project to give them the opportunity to bring together, from start to finish, their very own small scale exhibition. This project titled 'Object in Focus' allows the student to pick an object from the museum collection (from a pre-determined list of artefacts selected by the museum's collections team). The students then research their chosen item before creating object labels designed to provide a visitor with extra information about the item. Their final task, with the help of museum staff, is to pull all of their work together to creating their very own display.
- Researching an artefact from the museum's collections.
- Producing a written document containing relevant local and national information about the artefact.
- Photographing the artefact.
- Creating exhibition text and labels about the artefact (based on research undertaken)
- Producing a small scale exhibition for the museum.
- The digitisation of the museums conservation records relating to items in the museums archaeological collection. This will involve transcribing information from hard copy folders into a pre prepared database.
Qualities and Interests
We are looking for a student who:
- Has an interest in history.
- Enjoys research.
- Is computer literate.
- Is willing and able to work on your own initiative
Learning and Community Engagement Officer: email@example.com
If you are interested in work experience at The Novium Museum, please complete the application form and return it to firstname.lastname@example.org
We welcome applications from college and university students. All applications will be considered on an individual basis and will depend on a suitable project being identified.
In the past we have welcomed students studying topics such as history, fine art, teaching, archaeology, museums studies, animation and anthropology.
If you are interested in applying please complete the application form and return it to email@example.com